1. Vegetarians live longer, healthier lives. That's a fact. Modern medicine can prolong life and medical science is keeping people alive who would die without transplants, bypasses etc; but what of the quality of life? It's simpler not to eat meat.
2. The more plant foods you eat the less room you have for meat food, which clogs the arteries with cholesterol and strain the kidneys with excess protein and burden the heart with saturated fat.
3. Farm animals receive 30 times the antibiotics than people do. This is not so much to prevent infection - although the cramped factory farm conditions do lead to much sickness but to promote more growth an less feed. We ingest these and the hormones through the flesh we consume.
4. Meat production turns abundance into scarcity. You need an average 16lbs of grain to produce one pound of beef, 6 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of park, 3 pounds of grain to produce one pound of chicken and 5.3 pounds of fishmeal to produce 1 pound of farmed fish, Doesn't it make sense to eat the grain and feed more people? .
5. The iron in animal foods is more readily absorbed than the iron in plant foods. Once this was seen as an advantage but like protein it can be a case of too much of a good thing. Excess iron can be a catalyst in the formation of free radicals, Overloading the body with iron can lead to an increased risk of cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, heart disease, diabetes and infertility. A vegetarian is likely to have safer revels stored iron.
6. Dead flesh (meat) contains saturated fats, cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, toxins and absolutely no fibre.
7. Vegetarians have lower incidence of diabetes, kidney disease and gallstones.
8. Animal foods are high in sodium, which causes the blood to retain water. They also cause plaque to build up in the arteries. One in four people in the Singapore has high blood pressure.
9. Your body is designed for a vegetarian diet. The human intestines are 16-29 feet long and winds round and round. This is typical of a herbivore (grass eaters). Carnivores always have short, straight intestines. This means they pass out the write from the meat before it rots. In humans it remains in the digestive system too long.
10. 0steoporosis is a disease of calcium deficiency, which leaves the bones brittle and weak, Yet it is not a disease of law calcium intake but rather a case of losing too much. Excess protein will leach calcium from the bones. It is reported that amongst African Bantu on law protein diets, warren take one third the amount of calcium recommended by the US Government. Yet they bear many children, breast -feeding thorn for two years and seldom break a bone.
11. Efforts to persuade us to eat fish as an alternative healthier substitute for meat should not let us overtook fact that fish is still a high fat, high calorie food with no fibre. Fish are often, laden with dangerous toxins, which they absorb from a polluted water environment. Bigger fish eat smaller ones so the toxins build up.
12. Meat, madness, Many people in Briton are still fear they will be victims of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (nicknamed Mad Cows Disease) caused by beef cattle being fed brain and nerve tissue of scapie-infected sheep. Apart from the immorality of feeding peaceful grass eaters such rubbish, it resulted in the cows passing a disease which causes the brain to swell and soften. Hundreds of people will face this prospect. Do not think this is an isolated case. Fish that die of disease in fish faun ponds are ground up and fed back to their brothers and sisters.
13. Over 12% of children in Singapore are rated as obese. Many more are overweight. Fast food outlets are blamed by many for this rise because of the high fat content of the meals. Vegetarian fed children are seldom overweight and parents report they are less prone to sickness. They may grow slower but end up the almost the same height and healthier.
14. Would the popular sport of fishing be allowed to continue if our lakes, rivers and seas rang out with the screams of wounded and dying fish? Fish do feel pain. They have a complex nervous system. Imagine your own cheek pierced by a hook that then drags you with the full weight of your body out of your environment to suffocate slowly.
15. Baby chicks are sorted male from female at chicken farms. The male chicks are casually thrown in a sack on top of each other and suffocated because they cannot become layers or meat providers.
16. In a study of the Japanese who were, until recently, well known for their longevity d health, has shown that when they are wised or move to the USA they soon develop similar rates of heart disease as the Americans. It was concluded that increase in meat eating was the prime cause.
17. You'll be in good company - Pythagoras, Socrates, Leonardo de Vinci, Albert Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, Madonna, Lamina Novratilova, Tina Turner, Vanessa Williams and Paul McCartney to name a few, were or are vegetarians.
18. 24.4% of Singaporeans die of cancer. It has shown that vegetarians worldwide have a lower incidence of cancer especially cancer of the colon.
19. Meat is wasteful. It takes 3.25 acres to apply one meat eater for one year. It only requires one sixth of an acre to feed a full vegetarian for a year.
20. Food poisoning commonly starts from meat or poultry infected with the infamous salmonella and E.coli pathogens. Undercooked meat or reheated meat is full of bacteria. It's safer to eat vegetable, grains, nuts and fruit. How many people do you read of being taken to hospital with food poisoning from an orange?
21. By eating meat we support the powerful meat industry while causing appalling pain and psychological damage to the animals and birds. Each leg of lamb, each chicken breast was cut off of a sentient, living creature that was sacrificed for your plate.
22. We can ensure every human being on this planet was well fed if we adopted a vegetarian diet. In fact, if the Americans alone cut back their current meat consumption by 10% they could feed the 60 million around this world who are starving today. There is no shortage of food, just too few vegetarians.
23. Cattle eat between one third and half of all crops grown in the world. They get their protein from plants. And then we absorb it (along with accumulated pesticides) for our protein. This is a very inefficient way to produce food.
24. We are eating way too much protein. In fact it is almost impossible to get too little protein. If you just lived on potatoes each day you'd have enough. We only need between 44 to 55 grams a day. Some of us are consuming three times that amount. Excess protein has been linked to Alzheimer's disease. Vegetables will easily supply your daily needs without the risks.
25. Save water. It takes one hundred times more water to produce a pound of beef than a pound of wheat. We have a growing world shortage of fresh water. We are using it up faster than nature can provide it. You can play your part in saving precious water by adopting a vegetarian diet.
26. Studies by the famous Brigham &Young Hospital in Boston have shown that women who ate red meat each day were two and half times more likely to get cancer of the colon than women who ate no meat or sparingly.
27. Save the trees. It is not logging that is forcing the destruction of the rain forest. The land is being cleared for cattle ranching or crops for cattle feed. After a few years the land is nutritionally used up and desertification begins.
28. Meat contains approximately 14 times more pesticides than plant foods. Dairy products contain over five times the amount.
29. Don't be a killer. Millions of animals are slaughtered each day, dying cruelly in fear and pain. Each time a meat eater orders a steak or pork rib he has that responsibility.
30. There's more choice. The range of vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts far exceeds the joints of meat in variety. Why have boring beef and chicken cuts every day when you can explore a nourishing world of colour, texture and taste.
31. Eating a plant-based diet guards against disease actively by providing complex carbohydrates, phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibre.
32. A twenty year long study of over 6,500 men revealed that those who consumed large amount of meat, cheese, eggs and milk had 3.6 times the incidence of prostate cancer. By the age of sixty, 40 % of US males have enlarged prostates.
33. Vegetarians eat more fibre. The average Americans eat only 12 grams of fibre a day in their diet. Dietary recommendations call for 3040 grams a day. The more you follow the American diet the more you risk colon cancer. Vegetarians will easily exceed this recommended level.
34. Imagine the agony of having your arms tied tightly for days while your eyes being poked and you have nothing to eat or drink. This is what we subject crabs and lobsters to before we 'kindly' kill them.
35. Pigs are equal in intelligence to chimps and higher than dogs. No wonder they scream and fight when dragged into the slaughterhouse.
36. It is said that vegetarians are calmer and more spiritual than meat eaters. Try it out and see for yourself.
37. Vegetarian food is tastier. Try eating meat without a sauce land see how that tastes 'naked'. Fruits and vegetables, on the other hand, offer our taste buds a gourmet delight even without dressings.
38. Vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts offer us all the nourishment our bodies need. Vegetables contain vitamins, minerals including calcium and iron as well as fibre.
39. Vegetarians are more compassionate. Although improvements in health are important, it is often a caring attitude towards animals and birds which moves people to a diet which doesn't mean slaughtering another species.
40. The world's cattle - excluding pigs and chickens - consume quantity of food the equivalent to the caloric needs of 8.7 billion people. That's nearly double the entire population of the world today. Who says we can't feed the world without GM food.
41. We will have to all become vegetarians sooner or later. Exhausted soils and scarcity of water will force the world to adopt a vegetarian diet. Get used to it now!.
42. Fertilisers, pesticides and manure travel down the waterways of the world due to this mad and wasteful business of producing meat for our tables. Gallons of urine and feces from animals travel down to the sea. These pollute and destroy the ecosystem in the rivers and seas.
43. Oyster beds are natural giant filter. Because of oyster fishing, these natural cleaners are unable to work efficiently. Apparently, in Chesapeake Bay in the USA, it now takes a year for these mollusks to clean the waters of the Bay. A process they would have achieved in a week a hundred years ago.
44. Workers in slaughterhouses killing pigs often wear ear protection against the screams of the terrified animals. Slaughter houses operate because we expect meat on the table.
45. Constipation will probably be a thing of the past once you adopt a high fibre vegetarian diet.
46. Plant protein is more than adequate for your body daily needs. And it is a healthier way to obtain protein.
47. Taking supplements is not as good as getting the nutrients you need directly from the food you eat. Whole foods in particular are richer in phytochemicals which are good antioxidants. These fight free radicals (said to cause cancer). You will benefit by adding more plant food and reducing meat.
48. A cow has to eat 7 pounds of protein from grain and soybeans to produce one pound of beef.
49. An acre of farmland devoted to soybeans will provide roughly 30 times more protein than an acre devoted to cattle grazing.
50. Cattle eat between one third and half of all crops grown in the world. They get their protein from plants. And then we absorb it (along with accumulated pesticides) for our protein. This is a very inefficient way to produce food.